Thursday, December 18, 2008

How much greater will our song be?

Today I had the opportunity to sing for the Faculty Christmas Party at Trinity. Sometimes I am a little apprehensive of the Faculty because they seem a bit judgmental during worship services about the music. However today was very different. I choose an Alfred Burt Carol, "Some Children See Him." This is a beautiful text about how children see Jesus in the light of their own faces. This means that Jesus may be viewed as Black, White, Asian, etc. I was first introduced to the text as a choral anthem while at Muskingum College. To tell you the truth I didn't think very much of it then. Now I am convinced that it is one of the most moving pieces of Christmas music I have ever heard. In a world divided this text asks us to see Jesus through the eyes of a child. Our children do not see color the way we do. Children often do not notice things until they are pointed out to them. How wonderful would it be to live in a world where race doesn't matter?

I am also sang a piece called, "In the First Light." This is also a great piece that I'm sure will gain wider usage. The text is not just of Christmas but of Easter and the second coming. The text asks us "How much greater will our song be when he comes again?" This is something that we should asks ourselves often. We should view every Christmas as the incarnation. Every year as we celebrate the birth of Christ we should remember the incarnation and the promise that Christ will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment